Monday, August 11, 2014

Grounding your image - a tutorial for Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps


Grounding your image - by Sharon Caudle
 
Hey everyone! I wanted to take a minute today to show you how I usually ground my images. Grounding your image is important! It gives your image a base to stand on, allows you to create wonderful backgrounds for your images, and keeps them from looking like they're just floating in mid air. As you can see, I've finished coloring up this cutie patootie from the awesome Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Set OH SNAP!  I haven't grounded her yet, so she looks like she's just floating out there.
 
My favorite colors to use for grounding when I'm not placing my image outside on grass, is E21 and E23. You can ground your image with something as simple as placing a touch of color under each individual foot or object that is touching the ground as below.
 
You can see the difference immediately from the first picture. I use this method every once in a while, but I usually like to expand it. When you create your ground, be sure to color from side to side, not up and down. Make the ground furthest away from the eye the widest, and gradually bring it forward making it narrower as it gets closer to you.
 
After you've established your base, then take the darker color (in this case E23) and go along the furthest point (gets darker as it moves away from you), and add a shadow under your image.
 


 Then blend!   Add a little more shadow if desired, and always blend with the lighter color of the two colors that meet.


All finished and no longer floating in air!


 Hope this helps you achieve a base for your images! Thanks so much for stopping by to see us, and  have an awesome week! Watch for my completed card using this cutie in an upcoming Wonderful Wednesday challenge! Hugs!  Oh!! And the Copics used are listed below


 
Skin: E000, 00, 11, 04, R20
clothing: R81, 83, 85, and 89
BV02, 04, 08
hair: E51, 53, 23, and 57
Grounding: E21, 23
Phone: E81, R27, C5
I used a Copic multi-liner to create the flowers on the phone case

3 comments :

scrappymo! said...

Looks fabulous...thanks for that grounding tip!

Sheri said...

Love your papers, love you coloring,...and OMG!! .. love the flowers on the phone case! Fantastic tutorial! You're amazing!! ♥

Stressed Stamper said...

Ha - had to read yr posting as not a clue when you said grounding - now I do...mine float most of the time - so will try it
Sarah x